Sunday, May 31, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
Think outside the box when entertaining your guests outdoors this summer. Take normally found indoor objects outside to illuminate a special evening.
This $4 heavy candelabra thrift store find shown here sets the scene for a festive evening on the back patio.
Another idea for additional lighting are candles in old silver jello molds. Sand, pebbles or crystals can be added for more visual interest on the jello mold bottom, but just the reflection of the candlelight off the mold is really all you need. It's actually quite stunning, don't you think?
This white three-tiered candleholder was a Minnesota occassional sale find. I actually purchased two of them. Great finds! Instantly I imagined them warming up my patio on a dark night. They can be easily stuck in a plant like I've done here, in a pail of sand or right into the ground. How fun does this look?!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Well, first up I'll try and come up with six things about me...hmmmm...
1) I have been happily married for almost 23 years. Holy smokers! I wonder if he's still happily married? I bet he would be if I'd move my junk from his side of our garage! Sorry, dear!2) The boys. We've got two of them and they are the true joy of our lives. What the heck did we do before they were born? Five years...no idea what we did. We are the type of parents who refuse to re-live our childhoods through them, know what I mean? It is their life and they need to live it; we are just trying to lead them down the right path. (Cross your fingers; it's a work in progress).
3) I am the 6th of seven children, raised on a farm with a strict catholic up-bringing. Even so, we had A LOT of fun! I am especially close to my three sisters and to my youngest bro. He and I played together and got along great, as long as he played what I wanted! Poor guy; dolls and all. I like to think we were preparing ourselves for our futures...me having boys...and he has two girls! We named our second son after him.
4) I have worked for the same company for 24 years! Most days I actually still like it, which also amazes me.
5) I am licensed to sell crop and hail insurance in the State of North Dakota. Sounds like no big deal? Well, picture me with a kid on each hip at the time, trying to study for a test I was told loan officers flunked many times...I must love pressure cause I passed it on the first try! That STILL amazes me.
6) Wow! #6 already? I may just make it! I love wine. Mostly Moscoto's and late harvest Rieslings. Also love Italian food. Fortunately it goes well with wine.
7) Cassie, your family really left you at a rest stop? Ouch.
Alrighty, now MY turn to tag some of my favorite folks! Thanks for being you!
1) Sweet Melissa @ Junk-Fest, my junk sista on this site!
2) Mindy @ rockinm.blogspot.com/
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Lanette over at Cottage Elements is playing a little game of tag and it seems I'm it! Check out her post "Six Things About Me?" Okay, I'll play along. It's a bit difficult coming up with six things about me because, quite frankly, I'm a bit boring. (does that count as #1?)
1. I married my high-school sweetheart. We've only been married for 12 years, but some days it feels like....well....12 years. Seriously, when I count my blessings, he's on the top of the list.
2. My two daughters mean the world to me. In my opinion, nothing teaches you more about life, unconditional love, heartache, joy, pride, and yes even frustration-than having children...and those two can hands down make me feel each and every one of the afore-mentioned emotions on any given day! But, I wouldn't trade them for anything.
3. I grew up in the country and I currently live in the country, and that's just fine by me. I've lived in big cities, and while that certainly has its advantages (namely cultural and shopping!) fresh air and wide open spaces (insert Dixie Chicks background music) are where it's at for this junk girl! I could however, do without the wind!
4. I am the youngest of six children. Six children within 10 years. Not a totally huge family really, but big by today's standards. When I ask my mother how she did it (or why) she says "It's all a blur."
5. When I was about 5 0r 6, during a family vacation, my parents left me at a rest area. Not kidding. Picture six kids, plus one or two cousins in a Winnebago for miles on end. We stopped at a rest area to dump some trash. I had to "go." I came out and they were gone. Had my brother not been searching for me (probably to pick a fight) I might still be missing. It may have only been for about 15 minutes, but it was an eternity to me. Mom, is this when the blur started?
6. I cannot snap my fingers. It doesn't make me a bad person. My fingers just refuse to work as a team. I think it has something to do with #5 above.
Now I get to pick 6 people to play along! They are:
1. Anne at Indefinately definite...
2. Andrea...aka "JunkGirl" of Junk-Fest fame!
3. Darcie at Quilting by Darcie
4. Dana at Old Red Barn Co.
5. Janna at Artsy Fartsy Finds
6. Toni at The Tattered Cottage
Okay people, share six things about yourself, pick 6 new people to tag and don't forget to inform them! Please make sure you link back to this post. Isn't it about time we all get to know each other?
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Sunday, May 24, 2009
And, this could certainly hold drinks and ice at my first back yard party this summer...We junk girls hope you are having a HAPPY and SAFE Memorial Day Weekend!
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Now, this one I have some FUN ideas for! Perhaps that clip could hold your mammo appointment reminder!!
And these poor silver goblets got caught in the middle of a "junk" scandal. You see, one junk girl saw them at the thrift store, was in a hurry and forgot to grab them on the way to the till. Well, said junk girl mentioned them to friend junk girl on the phone the next day....then panicked that they would be gone at the end of the day...so called the thrift store and had them put behind the counter. Said junk girl had no ill intention of keeping them from junk sista by doing this, just a junk fever, you see. Then...friend junk girl brought said junk girl a bag of fresh baked monster cookies. NOW I FEEL GUILTY.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
...and came up with a new picture holder, for displaying old photo's.