Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sunday, January 23, 2011
But.... *sigh* .... look at the condition of the drawers.
I decided to set my drawers aside, for now too. They will make their appearance again...someday.
The BLUE was fabulous on the dresser, but I wanted a deeper, richer...you know, more of an aged look. So I used a stain to "glaze" over the blue paint.
The next fabulous thing I discovered was the planking that made up the inside of the dresser. Ooh Laaa La!
If you search long enough...the solution will appear. I've had a few very water damaged pressback chairs in the corner of the barn for a few years now. The only thing salvageable on them were the backrests, and it seemed a perfect solution to cradle a few bottles of wine.
I put a divider between them so the fit would be nice and snug.
(photo credit: Cindy Willey/Megan Ockert)
Sometimes it's SO hard to let a piece of furniture go after creating. I almost swapped the blue (used to be dresser) wine hutch out with the one below that I made a few years ago. Almost. The stained (used to be dresser) wine hutch won in the end and is still in my house.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
There you have it. Told you it was easy! I am SO loving how these turned out!
Sunday, January 16, 2011
When I spied this brass chandelier at a garage sale my heart went "pitter patter". The owner still loved it but was ready for an updated light fixture in her dining room.
Then I taped off any areas I did NOT want to paint.
Friday, January 14, 2011
They're not really grain sacks (like the linky theme), but coffee sacks instead. But hey, a sack is a sack is a sack, right? ;)
I hope you don't mind...this is a bit of a repost, but I just couldn't resist sharing AGAIN!!
There really isn't anything soft and cozy about a hefty piece of burlap, is there? But the charm I believe, comes from the unspoken history of a well used burlap scrap.
I had an awesome large frame and this burlap bag made the perfect fixins for a stylin' memo cork board.
And functional?! Don't ya just wanna drool all over this mattress and those pillows?
I just HAD to keep one of these bags for ME, ME, ME! I love it like I love my SaWeet Screen Door!! Check out the screen door post HERE.
What ways have you found to repurpose grain sacks, or coffee sacks?
Thursday, January 13, 2011
These images are of my sewing/craft/create room. The disarray you are seeing is not because of my mad & wild creating methods. No. This is the result of a lack of functional storage and...well, downright laziness. Like I had to tell you that. Please....don't judge.
My motive for showing you the ugly truth is to light a fire under my ahem and give me something to work towards. I wouldn't have had to share this with the world, but if I didn't, I just might not take myself seriously and get it done. Now that you've seen the before, I can't wait to share the after. I just hope I can get it done in 2011!
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
What do you get when you mix 2 old chippy white square columns, some weathered corral boards and a fleur de lis? A fireplace!
20href="%22http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lFrYUkH3mn0/TE4S6wRVRPI/AAAAAAAABHo/-q1jwPu86UI/s400/fireplace.jpg%22%3Ehttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lFrYUkH3mn0/TE4S6wRVRPI/AAAAAAAABHo/-q1jwPu86UI/s400/fireplace.jpg%3C/a%3E%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3EHere%20are%20the%20columns%20I%20started%20with...not%20sure%20what%20they%20were%20from.%20Don" 20id="%22BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5498352995665265906%22%20border=" 20alt="%22%22%20src=" href="http://www.blogger.com/%3Ca" />
Here are the two columns I started with. Don't they just scream "fireplace!" to you? After taking apart the columns, only to discover that 2 of the 4 sides on each had a one inch lip sticking out, I sawed off the lip so that the boards would lay flush side by side.
Next, I layed the boards out flat to determine the width of the mantel....and hope like heck I had enough to make this work! Sketches, rough drafts......even measuring were not part of my plan at this point. I was working purely from the vision in my head...and eyeballing as I went along.
I don't really recommend this, it's just how I roll sometimes.
After adding the sides, I trimmed the top & bottom and added a thick piece of plywood for the back. Then (this time I measured) I cut the opening in the front. It appears as though the opening is a bit small, but I still had a decorative element to add above it.
Dry fit the mantel, eyeballed some more....looking pretty good. Attached the mantel and a beefy corral board for the bottom. After darkening the top & bottom with a "secret" stain/paint formula, I added the metal fleur de lis to the front to "French" her up a bit.
And there you have it! A chippy-white, faux fireplace mantel.
If you're looking for more "white" inspiration, head over to CSI this week! Just click on the button below. Thanks for stopping by!
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
A no-longer working clock was taken apart and the face was the perfect platter for the main dessert...sitting on a silver base for some height.
Here she is! It was pretty yummy!
A while back when my junk sisters and I were out junkin', I found these old round Bristol Recorder charts. They worked just right as placemats.
These old, totally "cool" metal clock faces were used as drink coasters...