What do you get when you mix 2 old chippy white square columns, some weathered corral boards and a fleur de lis? A fireplace!
20href="%22http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lFrYUkH3mn0/TE4S6wRVRPI/AAAAAAAABHo/-q1jwPu86UI/s400/fireplace.jpg%22%3Ehttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lFrYUkH3mn0/TE4S6wRVRPI/AAAAAAAABHo/-q1jwPu86UI/s400/fireplace.jpg%3C/a%3E%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%3EHere%20are%20the%20columns%20I%20started%20with...not%20sure%20what%20they%20were%20from.%20Don" 20id="%22BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5498352995665265906%22%20border=" 20alt="%22%22%20src=" href="http://www.blogger.com/%3Ca" />
Here are the two columns I started with. Don't they just scream "fireplace!" to you? After taking apart the columns, only to discover that 2 of the 4 sides on each had a one inch lip sticking out, I sawed off the lip so that the boards would lay flush side by side.
Next, I layed the boards out flat to determine the width of the mantel....and hope like heck I had enough to make this work! Sketches, rough drafts......even measuring were not part of my plan at this point. I was working purely from the vision in my head...and eyeballing as I went along.
I don't really recommend this, it's just how I roll sometimes.
After adding the sides, I trimmed the top & bottom and added a thick piece of plywood for the back. Then (this time I measured) I cut the opening in the front. It appears as though the opening is a bit small, but I still had a decorative element to add above it.
Dry fit the mantel, eyeballed some more....looking pretty good. Attached the mantel and a beefy corral board for the bottom. After darkening the top & bottom with a "secret" stain/paint formula, I added the metal fleur de lis to the front to "French" her up a bit.
And there you have it! A chippy-white, faux fireplace mantel.
If you're looking for more "white" inspiration, head over to CSI this week! Just click on the button below. Thanks for stopping by!