Seriously. Would anyone in their right mind tackle a project like this?
Looking back at the “sprung” springs I have to wonder if I actually was in my right mind at the time of taking on this challenge. Unfortunately, or maybe a better word would be “luckily”, the only thing worse I could show you is the real before photo (which I did not take!) so you could see the horrific velveteen fabric that once resided upon the chairs. It was almost as scary as the purely antique stuffing that was inside. So like a muddy child coming in from the puddles, the chairs were stripped of all but the bare necessities, which included adorable wood frames, remnants of burlap and the loose springs strewn this way and that.
Once down to bare bones, I was able to repair and recreate the lovely form previously sported by this pair of chairs. Springs were tied back in place; shape was renewed with foam, batting, burlap and straps.
Then carefully and cleverly, I placed coffee bag burlap over the cushioned areas and stapled in place.
The decision I made at this point turned out to be the most gratifying of all, and enhanced the chairs with the touch of character that made them better than great.
I left all the raw edges out and the staples exposed to give the chairs a bit of a robust chic quality. It was a look that was all me and would have fit into my diverse style of mis-matched and rugged décor quite effortlessly….but instead they made their way to mingle amongst the JunkFest merchandise and chose their new owners without hesitation.
This project, as time consuming and tricky as it was, turned out to be a labor or love. The chairs found a renewed and refreshed look instead of their demise at a landfill...who could ask for anything more! And in conclusion, I would like to thank the dear Lord, my husband, and even the academy for making my life easier though the ownership of air nailers and staplers. Without them, I would still be working on these creatures of chairs…